Our Developmental Program is for players aged U4 - U10 that love the sport of soccer, and want a local in-house league to participate in without the travel that is involved with our competitive program. It is a non-competitive environment intended as an introduction to the game through short-sided games, focusing on individual player development. The Developmental league offers excellent soccer fields, participation medals, and trained referees.
Some of the basics of short-sided soccer are:
- Reduce the size of the swarm. Young children prefer small groups. Large groups are too intimidating.
- Create more touches of the ball. Fewer players on the field equal more opportunities to dribble, pass, and shoot the ball. The game itself is the best teacher!
- Do not allow players to “hide” or be excluded from an activity. With large-sided teams, it’s easy for the more timid children to “hide” on the field.
- Present realistic but simple soccer challenges. The beauty of the game is that the answers will become obvious to the players the more opportunities they have to answer them.
- Have fun! If all of these basics are presented in an environment that downplays the importance of winning, the result creates great enjoyment for the players. If they are having fun, they will ask to come back year after year.
Players in the U4-U6 divisions play short-sided games (3v3 for U4’s, 4v4 for U6’s) with practices and games held on Saturday mornings in the Fall and Spring and Sunday evening in the summer. Players arrive at the designated time for short practice with the game immediately following. Practice and game times are as follows for Saturday mornings in the fall and Spring: U4 8:30-9:30 am, U6 9:45-11:00 am // Sunday evenings in the summer: U4 4:00 to 5:00 pm, U6 5:10 to 6:25 pm. Registration fee for the 6 week session is $60 which includes their t-shirt uniform. All sessions will be held at the Dubuque Soccer Complex.
Players in the U8-U10 divisions will also be playing short-sided games (6v6 for U8’s and U10’s) on Saturday mornings in the Fall and Spring and Sunday evening in the summer. Practice and game times are as follows for Saturday mornings in the fall and Spring: U8 8:30-10:00 am, U10 10:00-11:30 am // Sunday evenings in the summer: U8 4:00 to 5:30 pm, U10 5:30 to 7:00 pm.
All players at these levels can also choose to add one or two week nights of additional of training on Tuesday and Thursday evenings with the training dates and times below. Players will be working with experienced DSC coaches on improving their individual skills and have a better understanding of how to play this amazing game of soccer!! Practices/training sessions will be with a DSC staff coach to help your child take the next step in their skill development. These sessions will be at a Dubuque Soccer Complex. Players only wanting to participate in the Saturday morning 6-week session will pay a registration fee of $60. Players participate in the Saturday (fall or Spring) or Sunday (summer) can register for either the Tuesday or Thursday evening sessions will pay a registration fee of $100. Players registering for all three sessions (Saturday or Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday) will pay a registration fee of $125. Registration fee does include their t-shirt uniform for the season. If your child is ready to move up to the next age group please request this on the registration form as children develop at different rates and we want every child to be challenged. There are a limited number of spots in the Tuesday and Thursday sessions to keep a low player to coach ratio. Registration is on a first come first serve.
Registration deadlines: Summer - May 12, 2017 // Fall - August 11, 2017
If you have any questions please contact Jason Berna at email@example.com